Tuesday 15 February 2011

Rainbow Cake

I couldn't recall the source of this recipe but I've had it for some time now. Never tried it before until yesterday when I discovered that I had a can of evaporated milk in the pantry, waiting to be used before the expiry date.

I didn't tell DH that I wanted to bake this cake & asked him for 3 of his favourite colours. He told me black, deep black & deeper black (that's helpful wasn't it?) So I decided to colour the batter symbolizing my 3 kids instead - blue, green & pink.


This cake has soft texture & crumbly. The only downside was the cocoa powder which was used to 'separate' the colours. Wasn't a great ingredient to use, as it so happened, because the cocoa powder I used has more of the bitter taste.

So what I would do next time is to use some of brownie batter or even cream cheese batter as the separator. I think that would work better. Otherwise, omit the cocoa powder altogether & use this recipe to bake Marble Cake. You can also use this as a base for your cupcake too ; ).

Rainbow Cake

250g unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 tblsp vanilla essence
Cocoa powder
Food colouring

1) Preheat oven to 160C & grease a 8x8" pan

2) Whisk butter & sugar until fluffy.

3) Add 1 egg at a time & be sure to mix thoroughly before adding another.

4) Add vanilla essence & evaporated milk.

5) Add the sifted flour, baking powder & salt in 3 additions.

6) Divide batter into 3 portions and add colour.

7) Pour 1st portion into the greased pan. Dredge enough cocoa powder to cover the batter. Pour second portion into the greased pan & dredge another layer of cocoa powder. Then pour the last portion.

8) Tap the pan before baking it for about 40mins (depending on your oven). Transfer to cooling rack & let cool.

No comments: