The other day, I mentioned that I will post the Mee Betawi recipe. Well here it is: (sorry no pics for this one)
Yellow Hokkien mee
For the soup
Ground white pepper
Beef (need to be stewed in advance; do not throw the stock as it will be used for the soup)
Sweet soya sauce
1. Stew the beef in advance as the stock will be used for the soup.
2. Fry the blended ingredients until fragrant (including the ground white pepper). Then pour in the beef stock (only). Add water if required & sweet soya sauce.
3. Once the soup starts to boil, you can start putting in the stewed beef & chye sim stalks. By this time, you should get a somewhat sweet & spicy taste. If the soup is too spicy, just add in more soya sauce.
4. Finally add the fishcakes, prawns & chye sim.
5. Serve with yellow hokkien mee & fried shallots.
Note: No other seasonings are required as the taste comes from the sweet soya sauce & beef stock.