Recipe does not require much ingredients & it's quick & simple. Therefore made a last minute stint to bake this in the morning before rushing off to work.
Lemon CakeThe taste is a mix of a little buttery & tangy at the same time. Next time I bake this again I would want to add an extra lemon juice & zest to give it a stronger citrus taste.
200g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
125g butter, softened
Juice & grated zest of 1 lemon
180g icing sugar
1) Use a 9-1/2 x 6" loaf tin. Grease & flour tin. Preheat oven to 180C.
2) Using electric beaters, beat butter & sugar until smooth & pale. Then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in lemon zest & juice *(retain 2 tblsps for icing).
3) In another bowl, sift flour, baking powder & cornflour. Add into the butter mixture & beat until well-mixed.
4) Place mixture in the tin & smooth the top. Bake for 45mins or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove cake from oven & leave to cool slightly. Turn out onto wire rack.
5) Mix the remaining 2 tblsps lemon juice with the icing sugar. Pour over the cake while still warm. Leave cake to cool completely.
*For stronger lemon taste, pierce the cake with a skewer several times immediately after baking & pour over a mixture of 4 tblsps each of lemon juice & icing sugar.