Monday 20 September 2010

Mee Bandung

I had 2 packs of yellow Hokkien Mee in the fridge which will be expiring soon. The plan was to fry them when we receive guests during this festive period. But I fried the Satay yesterday instead for my aunt's family.

So I have to cook the Hokkien Mee either today or tomorrow. But what dish? There were a few options - Mee Soto, Mee Rebus, Mee Goreng, Mee Sup & Mee Betawi. Then I decided to try something I've never cooked before.

It's been a while since I try something new. I took my recipe book out, scanned through twice & decided it shall be Mee Bandung, since I have all the ingredients in my fridge. Next, I am so going to try the Mee Ayam Cendawan (Shredded Chicken Noodle). Reminds me of Tong Seng Coffeeshop, which me & ex-colleagues used to frequent for lunch.

What I've put into my Mee Bandung:


Mee Bandung

500g yellow Hokkien Mee*
200g bean sprouts*
*Blanched

Blended ingredients:
2 tblsp dried chillies
3 cloves garlic
5 red onions

About 1.5l chicken stock
4 tblsp tomato sauce
2 tblsp chilli sauce
1 tblsp oyster sauce
300g beef (cut into small cubes)
300g prawns
*Cornflour mixed wz water (thickening agent)
Oil for cooking

Garnish:
Eggs (poaching method, upon serving)
Limes (halved)
Red chillies
Green chillies
Fried shallots
Chopped parsley & spring onion

Directions:
1) Heat oil. Fry the blended ingredients until fragrant.

2) Once fragrant, pour in the chicken stock & the beef cubes. Add the tomato sauce, chilli sauce & oyster sauce. Let it boil.

3) Add in the thickening agent (according to your preference) & continue to stir to prevent any lumps.

4) When the gravy begins to thicken & boil, add in the prawns. Let it cook for about 2 minutes & switch off the heat. *If you are serving immediately, poach the egg in the boiling gravy & serve.

5) To serve, put a small portion of the blanced Hokkien noodles & bean sprouts in a bowl. Pour the gravy with beef & prawns. Place the poached egg on top centre of the noodles. Garnish with lime, chillies, fried shallots, chopped parsley & spring onion.

I hope the above directions are easy to follow. Otherwise you can always give me a tweet at @sistabrownie or drop me an email.

No comments: