Tuesday 23 February 2010

Pinwheel Biscuits

As I've stocked up in my pantry last weekend, I became so excited to start baking something.... anything.... that I asked out loud to my family. They got so adventurous that they start looking into my recipe books & suggesting all sorts of ideas. I stopped them before it got out of hand & told them to give me a break & let me bake something simple - biscuits, cookies.

So all three of them (dear hubby, daughter & son) concluded on Pinwheel Biscuits, which uses hazelnut filling (aka Nutella). When the biscuits were baked, I realized that I've scrooged on the filling. Therefore it didn't come out as I'd expected.


Anyways as I've mentioned in my Tweet, it's a little on the buttery shortbread type of biscuit. The dough needs to be refrigerated before spreading the filling.

Pinwheel Biscuits

1 1/4 cups plain flour
100g butter, chopped (I used salted)
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tblsp fresh milk (approximately)
1/3 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (aka Nutella)
2 tblsp hazelnut meal

1. Process flour, butter & sugar until crumbly. Add egg yolk, process with enough milk until mixture forms a ball. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Cover, refrigerate 1 hour.

2. Roll dough between sheets of baking paper to form 20cm x 30cm rectangle; remove top sheet of paper. Spread dough evenly with hazelnut spread; sprinkle with hazelnut meal. Using paper as a guide, roll dough tightly from long side to enclose filling (pull the paper away from you, slowly). Enclose roll in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30mins.

3. Preheat oven to 160C. Grease oven trays, lined with baking paper.

4. Remove plastic wrap; cut roll into 1cm slices, place slices on trays 2cm apart. Bake about 20mins. Stand pinwheels on trays 5mins before transferring to wire rack to cool.

Makes about 30.

Pinwheel Biscuits

No comments: