Tuesday 2 March 2010

Cuz engagement ceremony

With so much ado on my cousin's engagement ceremony's goodies, finally only two made it - Velvet Cupcakes wz Snow Frosting & Paris Brest.

Velvet Cupcakes wz Snow Frosting

Paris Brest

Almost made the Croquembouche too, as I could use the extra pastries from Paris Brest. However the spun sugar didn't work out (read:melted) due to the super hot weather here. Sigh!


For the benefit of my fellow readers who are wondering what the fuss is about with engagements, it's a ceremony whereby the family from the boy's side (relatives, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandaunts, granduncles... the list goes on) come over to the girl's, bringing along gifts, goodies & engagement ring. Although gifts & goodies are not compulsory, families believe it is to celebrate the happy occassion, thus the tradition. Gifts & goodies are usually contributed by family members. During this meeting, a representative from both sides will do the talking on behalf of the couple's parents. A dowry will be proposed and wedding date will be set. The wedding will usually take place between 6 months and a year.


I should go to more engagement and solemnization ceremony. I've missed a few of my friends' & realtives' that I've forgotten how fun & interesting it can be. It is also a time when people can convert their ideas into 'masterpiece' for the gifts exchange.

There's a particular one gift (contributed by the paternal side) which caught the attention of a lot of people (especially my mum & aunts). It's a set of 5 giant tarts placed on top of their individual decorated storage container (for us to take home after the ceremony hehehe...)


There are also another set of giants - Curry Puffs; or is that Calzone? I didn't exactly know what the filling was in these Puffs.


And these dolls, they are a classic. These goes back to the time when my aunts & uncles got engaged or solemnized. And that was like..... twenty over years ago. Now it's their kids' and people are still doing these dolls' dress by attaching colourful sweets. My daughter was so excited when she saw these. And I was the one who has to keep plucking those sweets off the dolls.


There is another classic - the porcupine. It's rare to see that these days. It's made with poking prunes with toothpicks stuck to a pineapple or papaya as base for the body. Part of the toothpicks that are sticking out will make the whole thing look like a big porcupine.

With the world moving towards modernization, I wonder if traditional home-made gifts will stay on. Nowadays, young & trendy couples tend to just buy stuff, put them on trays & present them. That's when the fun stops.

Well for now, my aunt has one year to make all the necessary preparations for her daughter's wedding, and my cousin will be so looking forward to next year, I'm sure.

Congratulations, dearest!

No comments: