Friday, 1 December 2006
Chocolate Fruit Cake
Tried this recipe out for dear mum, as she said the picture in my recipe book looks so tempting, what with the fruits & nuts. So did this on the night of 13th Nov'06. As this was my first attempt at fruit cake, I think I might have overbaked this as the texture was quite dry. But nevertheless, mum said it was tasty!
250g unsalted butter or margarine, softened
250g light muscovado sugar
275g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
1 tsp ground mixed spice
200g mixed nuts, such as Brazil nuts, almonds & hazelnuts, roughly chopped
250g milk chocolate, chopped
100g chopped glace ginger
250g mixed dried fruit
1) Grease & line a 20cm / 8" round cake tin. Cream the butter & sugar together in a bowl until softened.
2) Sift the flour, cocoa & mixed spice into a bowl. Add the eggs & beat until smooth.
3) Reserve 25g of the chopped nuts, 40g of the chopped chocolate & half the glace ginger. Add the remainder to the bowl with the mixed dried fruit & stir until evenly combined.
4) Turn thr mixture into the prepared tin & level the surface. Scatter with the reserved nuts, chocolate & ginger.
5) Bake in a preheated oven, 150C, for 1 1/4 -1 1/2 hrs until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin.