Friday 31 December 2010

Sausage Scones

I went to the library the other day to return some due books, which the kids borrowed earlier. I told myself that I was not going to borrow any more just because I hate the inconvenience of having to return them (very lazy me).

But the urge was just so great that yes, I went in & borrowed fairy books for my daughter and Dr Seuss for my son. Since the library was having a double quota borrowing promotion I went to the cookery books section to see what else I could borrow. I wasn't looking for anything particular but somehow the "Scones" book caught my attention.

So I was browsing through my newly-borrowed book at home and same thing, my dear daughter would flick the pages as well. Now something interests her - Sausage Scones. And she told me she'd like to make them.

I had this morning free and a quick check of ingredients showed that we had everything we needed. We proceeded with 'Ufairah's first project. It turned out successful, with me helping her to gather & knead the dough, she rolled it with sausage & sealed it. Most importantly she liked what she prepared.


Here's sharing a mother-daughter project:

Sausage Scones (adapted from "Scones" by Genevieve Knights)

200g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
50g butter (cold)
1 tblsp mild or hot English mustard
100-120ml milk
4 small frankfurters (we used chicken sausage)

Preheat the oven to 220C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the texture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Separately whisk together the mustard and milk. Add most of the milk & mustard mixture to the dry mix. With a fork, stir to combine. If mixture is too dry to come together, add the remaining milk.

Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough together. Roll the dough out to a 30cm x 20cm rectangle. Place the dough on the workbench so the 20cm width is in front of you. Slice dough into 4 even pieces across the width. Place a frankfurter at the edge of a dough rectangle and brush the farthest edge with a little water. Roll up tightly then press lightly to secure. Repeat the process with the other frankfurters. Slice the rolls into 5 even pieces each and place them onto the baking tray. Bake about 6-8 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.

Makes 20.


No comments: