Thursday 4 February 2010

Cranberry Almond Biscotti

I tried my hands on biscotti about 2 weeks ago (I think! This is the result of outdated posts, I can't recall when exactly). Although this biscuit do not get a second glance from me in any cafes, my tasting experience last Hari Raya changed my mind.

Nothing against the (hard) texture of biscotti, it is meant to be dipped into your cuppa. But the ones I tasted last year, which was bought and given a packet to me by SIL, were of the 'right' crispy texture. And they were delicious! Then I thought I should try baking biscotti myself.


It didn't happen until January 2010. I started looking for the recipes and found one I could experiment with. The whole process took about 2hrs. Afterwhich they were kept in airtight container & stored (not for long since I have 2 little monster boys).

I have mixed feelings (or should I say, "taste") about the end result of the biscotti. I'm not sure that it was the 'right' texture. Hhmmmm.... Anyways, I am always on the prowl for different recipes to experiment with.

Here's one that you can try & if you do, please feedback.

Cranberry Almond Biscotti

Cranberry Almond Biscotti

Makes 16-20 pieces

2/3 cup caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup flaked almonds
1/2 cup dried cranberries

1. Preheat oven to 177C and place oven rack in centre of oven.

2. Beat sugar & eggs on high speed until thick, pale & fluffy *When you slowly raise the beaters, the batter will fall back into bowl in slow ribbons.

3. In a separate bowl, whick flour, baking powder & salt. Add to the egg mixture & beat until combined.

4. Fold in the flaked almonds & cranberries.

5. Transfer dough to parchment paper lined on baking tray. Form into a log (like french loaf) about 30cm long & 9cm wide. You may have to dampen your hands to form the log as the dough is quite sticky.

6. Bake for 25 minutes or until firm, Remove from heat & let cool on wire rack about 10 minutes.

7. Reduce oven temperature to 165C. Transfer log onto cutting board & cut into 2cm slices, at a diagonal. Place the biscotti cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, then slices over & bake for another 10 minutes (or until golden brown for both sides).

8. Remove from oven and let cool. Once cooled, store in an airtight container.

Enjoy!

No comments: