Saturday 28 February 2009

Beef with Dried Chilli

Tried a new dish the other day, because I haven't got any ideas of what to prepare for dinner. I was flipping through my recipes list, read the ingredients and found that I have all the ingredients required in my fridge.

The dish calls for cubed beef. But being me, I used sliced beef instead. Actually, this helps in cutting down the cooking time as sliced beef becomes tender faster.

Ingredients:
2 tsps oil
8 shallots, sliced finely
300g tomato, sliced
6 dried chillies, sliced lengthwise
500g beef, cubes
4 tblsps sweet dark soy sauce
800ml coconut milk (from 1 coconut)
3 cloves
1/2 nutmeg, grated (I use powder)
3 cm cinnamon
Salt to taste
Fried shallots for topping

Spice paste (blended):
4 cloves garlic
3 candlenuts, roasted
2 cm ginger

1) Heat oil in a pan over medium fire. When hot, stir-fry shallots for 1 min. Add spice paste and continue to stir-fry till fragrant, about 3 mins.

2) Add tomato, dried chillies and beef. Toss for 5 mins or till beef is just cooked.

3) Add sweet soy sauce and mix well. Gradually add in coconut milk, stirring to mix well.

4) Add cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon. Lower fire and simmer till beef is tender and oil separates from gravy. Season with salt to taste. Sprinkle with fried shallots before serving.



No comments: