Sunday 19 June 2011

Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding

Frankly, I don't eat bread pudding. I had before but found little 'interest' in it. A friend ever requested that I try out a fellow blogger's Nutella Bread Pudding, but I have yet to give that recipe a try. Sorry Yani, perhaps soon ok?

Then while I was watching Nigella's "Rags to Riches" episode a couple of weeks back, Nigella 'showed' the Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding recipe. Since I had my notebook next to me, I just jot the recipe down. I thought maybe this would change my mind. So I tried...


Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
(from Nigella's Rags to Riches episode)

250g bread (chopped into chunks)
100g chocolate chips
500ml full-cream milk
125ml double cream
40g soft brown sugar
3 eggs
1/2 tblsp vanilla essence (in the episode, she used rum. I substituted this with vanilla essence)

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 170C. Grease a 9" baking dish. Place the chopped bread in the baking dish.

2) Scatter the chocolate chips into the dish.

3) In a bowl or measuring cup, whisk milk, double cream, sugar, eggs & vanilla together. Pour the mixture into your baking dish. Let the whole mixture stand for 20 minutes.

4) Sprinkle some demerera sugar on top just before you put the bread mixture into the oven. Bake for 40 minutes (depends on your own oven).

So how do I find this pudding after baking it myself? I don't know. But with so much ado about 'the' Bread Pudding from Royal at Scotts' Carousel, perhaps I should try that first & see if THAT will make me have a change of heart (or rather, taste).

No comments: