Wednesday 14 July 2010

Churros

Now how or why did I end up frying Churros in my kitchen....?

It all started when I ended up watching a new cable TV show, which had recently become one of my favourite channels (alongside Universal & WarnerTV) : )) It showcases all the different snacks available in the US from sweet treats to what-have-you under the sun.

In one of the episodes, Churros came up. And I suddenly remembered that I've kept this recipe for a while without having tried it yet, although it is an easy recipe.

So here it is. Coincidentally a friend asked for the recipe too, when I uploaded a picture of it in my FB.


Churros

1 cup plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp caster sugar
1 cup water
1 tblsp vegetable oil (I use canola)

Enough cooking oil for frying
Caster sugar or Cinnamon sugar for tossing fried Churros


1) Sift flour, baking powder & salt into a mixing bowl. Add the caster sugar.

2) In a heavy-based pan boil water & vegetable oil.

3) Once the liquid is boiling pour in the flour mixture into the pan & mix vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together into a ball. The dough should leave the sides of the pan.

4) Let dough cool for a while before transferring it into a piping bag or a cookie press.

Cookie press *Picture courtesy of the web*

5) Heat oil in the frying pan. Press the dough into the frying pan & cut according to your desired length. ( Another way to do this is to pipe the dough in spiral motion. You can cut them in the desired length after you remove from the pan & drain it).

6) Fry until golden brown & remove from pan. Drain.

7) Toss them in caster sugar or cinnamon sugar & serve hot.

P.S: Alternatively you may like to melt some chocolates & dip the churros for serving.

No comments: